In Case of a Car Accident: Steps to Take Next
Many times after having a car accident, people are in shock and don’t know what to do. Just remember to remain calm, breathe, and then go through these easy five steps.
- Check for Injuries – See if you or anyone else involved in the accident is hurt. Call 911 immediately if emergency assistance is needed.
- File a Police Report – Call local law enforcement to complete an accident report. Always ask for the report number.
- Exchange Information – Write down the other driver’s information such as name, address, driver’s license number, phone number, type of car, model, and tag number. Make sure to always keep a notepad and pen in your dashboard or console for easy access to write everything down quickly.
- Take Photos – Use your cell phone to take pictures of any vehicles involved and the damage. This documentation can help later in the claim process.
- Contact Your Insurance Agent – Let your insurance agent know what happened in the accident and they will help you report the claim.