visit renasantbank.com

Preventing Electrical Dangers in Your Home

April 05, 2019

Electricity powers our appliances, air conditioning, electronics, and many more things around the house. We use it every day, but it can be more dangerous than we realize. Every year, thousands of people are electrocuted and injured from electrical related accidents and fires. Follow these few tips to help avoid any dangers in your home.

Leaving Appliances Plugged in Near Water Sources

If an appliance that is plugged in gets wet, never unplug it. Go to your breaker box and turn off the power at the breaker switch for that designated outlet. Only then can you unplug the appliance and have it inspected by a qualified repair technician.

Older and Poor Wiring

Faulty wiring is the leading cause of residential fires according to the National Fire Prevention Association. If the wiring in your home is 30 years or older, you should have it inspected annually by an electrician.  Any flickering lights, warm outlets, or unexplained breakers tripping should also be signs to contact a professional.

Overloading Outlets and Power Strips

Outlets and power strips are designed to handle a certain load of electricity. Overloading a power strip or outlet could possibly cause a fire. Never plug a power strip into another power strip. When shopping for power strips, always make sure it comes with an internal circuit breaker and it has the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) seal.

 

Testing your smoke alarms annually is another great preventative measure in case of an electrical fire. At the end of the day, the best thing you can do as a homeowner is to always hire a licensed, qualified electrician.

 

 

Source: https://www.esfi.org/home-safety

You May Also Be Interested In

×